Number of iPhone Users in the World/USA (2023)
How Many People Have iPhones in 2023?
Approximately 1.36 billion people in the world use iPhones in 2023. This means that around 19% of the world’s population are iPhone users. There are around 136 million iPhone users in the United States in the same year, which make up around 50% of the country’s population.
Did you know that the iPhone is Apple’s main source of revenue, accounting for 50% of total global sales? Apple reached the billion-user mark in 2020, with 1.042 billion users worldwide, rising to 1.23 billion the following year. The number of iPhone users in the United States and worldwide has risen steadily over the years.
In this article, learn more about the growth of iPhone usage, iPhone market share, and how Apple remains one of the most valuable companies in the world in the smartphone industry.
- How many people have iPhones (Global): There will be approximately 1.36 billion iPhone users worldwide in 2023.
- How many people have iPhones (US): There will be around 136 million iPhone users in the United States in 2023.
- What percent of people have iPhones? (Global): Around 19% of the 7.33 billion people worldwide who have phones use Apple’s iPhone.
- What percentage of Americans have iPhones? (US): Nearly 50% of Americans who have smartphones use iPhones.
- iPhone Market Share: Latest data shows that Apple took the top spot for the largest smartphone market share globally at 27.67% share as of January 2023. Samsung is in close second place with 27.15% shares. In the US, Apple also takes the top spot, with a market share of 57.59%.
How Many iPhone Users Are There in the World?
It is estimated that there will be approximately 1.36 billion people who will be using iPhones worldwide in 2023. Around 150 million iPhone units were sold in 2022 alone.
How Many People in the World Have iPhones By Year (2008-2025)
*Note: Data for this year is an estimate using linear regression analysis.
- The number of iPhone users is expected to grow to 1.56 billion people by 2025.
- Apple’s global user base surpassed 100 million in 2011 when it recorded additional 55 million users added from 2010.
- Apple reached the billion-user mark in 2020 with 1.042 billion users worldwide and increased to 1.23 billion the following year.
- The iPhone is Apple’s primary source of revenue, accounting for roughly half of the company’s global sales.
- A spokesperson told The Verge that Apple deems a device active if it has used an Apple service in the previous 90 days.
- According to analysts, even though fewer iPhones are sold each year, people clearly keep them for a long time.
What Percentage of People Have iPhones?
iPhone users account for approximately 18.55%, or 1.36 billion people, out of all smartphone users worldwide at 7.33 billion in 2023. According to projections, the total number of global smartphone users will rise to 7.49 billion in 2025.
Percentage of iPhone Users in the World By Year (2020-2025)
*Note: Forecasted percentage of iPhone users out of the total number of smartphone users in the world.
It is estimated that more than 20% of the 7.49 billion smartphone users in the world in 2025 will be using iPhones. This translates to around 1.56 billion iPhone users.
Market Share of iPhone Worldwide
The latest data shows that Apple has the largest global market share of 27.67% as of January 2023. It is regaining the top smartphone market share spot after peaking at 28.41% in October 2022. Samsung closely trails Apple in second place with 27.15% shares.
How Many iPhone Users in the US in 2023
Out of the approximately 300 million smartphone users in the US, or roughly 90% of the country’s population, 135.97 million people are using iPhones.
iPhone Users in the United States By Year (2012-2023)
*Note: Data for this year is an estimate using linear regression analysis.
It is projected that there will be 135.97 million Apple iPhone users in the United States in 2023, which is 11.27 million more users in 2022.
- More than two million new Apple iPhone users were added in 2020 from the previous year, followed by an additional eight million the following year.
- Apple’s revenue continues to rise year after year as the number of users increases. Figures in the more recent years are attributed in part to the company’s price cuts on older smartphone models and the exit of Huawei, a major competitor to the brand, in 2022.
- According to Statista, one of the reasons for the iPhone’s success is Apple’s ability to establish a dependable relationship with its clients. As a result, brand loyalty and customer satisfaction for iPhones have constantly been high in the US.
What Percentage of Americans Have an iPhone?
By 2023, the percentage of smartphone users in the United States who own an Apple iPhone will be 49.9%. This is more than double the user market share of iPhone users globally at around 18.55%, validating the strong preference for Apple’s iPhones or Apple products in the US.
Percentage of iPhone Users in the United States By Year (2012-2025)
*Note: Estimated at Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR 2.52% 2019-2022).
The percentage of iPhone users to the total smartphone users in the US has consistently taken a significant 40-50% share for more than 10 years.
Market Share of iPhone in the US
Apple currently has a market share of 57.59% in the US as of January 2023, making it the leading smartphone vendor in the country, followed by Android phones like Samsung and Motorola. It has a significant gap from its competitors, with a 29.03% disparity from Samsung and a 52.82% difference from Motorola.
Apple dominated the US premium smartphone market share in the second quarter of 2022, accounting for 57% of all revenue in the segment.
Demographics of Apple iPhone Users
Data from a 2019 Statista survey showed that female Apple iPhone users account for 51% of the total user base. In contrast, 43% are men, and 6% prefer not to reveal their gender.
Most iPhone users, or approximately 44% of the entire user community, are in the age group of 16 to 24. Around 34% of users are aged 25 to 34 years, followed by 35 to 44 years old at 13%. 45 and older are the smallest demographic, accounting for only 10% of all users.
It is clear that the vast majority of those who use iPhones are younger people, as around 78% of them are aged below 35 years old.
Percentage of iPhone Users vs. Android Worldwide
Out of the 7.33 billion smartphone users in the world in 2023, iPhone users make up 18.55% of the total smartphone users worldwide. Meanwhile, the user base of Android smartphones is much larger, taking 34.11% of the population.
In 2021, the total number of smartphone users was around 7.10 billion, then increased to 7.26 billion the following year. The number of mobile users worldwide is projected to reach 7.49 billion by 2025.
- Financial Times has reported that there has been a significant trend in Android users moving to iPhones over the last four years based on a Counterpoint research.
- The iPhone’s iOS has a 62.69% market share in Japan, but Android generally has a larger market share in Asian countries.
- The iPhone 7 is the most-used smartphone globally. According to Scientia Mobile’s user statistics, Apple takes the top six devices among the world’s most popular mobile phones. The iPhone 7 is currently followed by the iPhone X with 4.01%, iPhone 8 with 3.91%, the iPhone 6s with 3.68%, iPhone 8 Plus with 3.62%, and iPhone 7 Plus with 2.80% in terms of global mobile phone users.
Percentage of iPhone Users vs. Android in the US
In 2023, the iPhone or iOS user base accounts for 49.9% of smartphone users in the US, while Android accounts for 46.18% of users. The number of iPhone and Android users in the country has steadily grown in the past years.