Number of iPhone Users in the World/USA (2023)
How Many People Have iPhones in 2022/2023?
Did you know that the iPhone is Apple’s main source of revenue, accounting for 50% of total global sales? In 2022, there were more than 120 million iPhone users in the United States and approximately 1.23 billion users worldwide.
Apple even reached the billion-user mark in 2020, with 1.042 billion users worldwide, rising to 1.23 billion the following year. The number of iPhone users in the United States and worldwide has risen steadily over the years.
In this article, learn more about the growth of iPhone usage, iPhone market share, and how Apple remains one of the most valuable companies in the world in the smartphone industry.
- How many people have iPhones (US): There are more than 120 million iPhone users in the United States in 2022-2023.
- How many people have iPhones (Global): There are approximately 1.23 billion iPhone users worldwide in 2022-2023.
- iPhone sales: As of January 2023, Apple had a market share of 57.59%, making it the leading smartphone vendor, followed by Android brands such as Samsung and Motorola. It has a significant advantage over its competitors, with a 29.03% gain over Samsung and a 52.82% gap over Motorola.
How Many iPhone Users Are There in the World?
Over 1.2 billion people worldwide have been using Apple’s iPhones in 2021. That’s 252 million more users than in 2019 and 189 billion more than in 2020. (Source: Statista)
How Many People in the World Have iPhones By Year (2008-2022)
No. of Active Apple iPhone Units Worldwide
|Year||No. of Active iPhone Units Worldwide|
- Apple’s global user base surpassed 100 million in 2011, when it recorded additional 55 million users added from 2010. (Source: Statista)
- Apple reached the billion-user mark in 2020 with 1.042 billion users worldwide and increased to 1.23 billion the following year. (Source: Statista)
- The iPhone is Apple’s primary source of revenue, accounting for roughly half of the company’s global sales. (Source: Statista)
Percentage of iPhone Users in the World
iPhone users account for approximately 0.17% of all smartphone users worldwide, or 1.23 billion people. According to projections, these numbers will rise to 7.26 billion in 2022 and 7.33 billion in 2023. (Sources: StatistaStatista)
Percentage of iPhone Users in the World By Year (2020-2021)
Yearly Percentage of iPhone Users Worldwide
There were 1.042 billion Apple iPhone users in the world in 2020, out of a total of 6.95 billion smartphone users. In 2021, the global number of people who use iPhones increased by 17%, or approximately 189 million more users. (Sources: Statista, Statista)
Market Share of iPhone Worldwide
Latest data shows that Apple has the largest global market share of 27.69% as of January 2023. It is regaining the dominant market share after peaking at 27.48% in November 2022, trailing Samsung. It only placed second by the end of December 2022 as Samsung emerged by 0.4%. (Source: Statcounter)
iPhone Users in the US in 2022
Out of the 307 million smartphone users in the US, approximately 124.70 million are using iPhones, representing 40.61% user market share. (Sources: Statista Statista)
iPhone Users in the US By Year (2012-2022)
Number of Apple iPhone Users in the United States (2012-2022)
|Year||Number of iPhone Users in the US|
There are around 124.70 million Apple iPhone users in the United States in 2022, which is 8.4 million more users in 2021.
Apple’s revenue continues to rise year after year as the number of users increases, with 2022 figures attributed in part to the company’s price cuts on older smartphone models and the exit of Huawei, a major competitor, from the market. (Source: Statista)
- More than two million new Apple iPhone users were added in 2020, followed by an additional eight million the following year. (Source: Statista)
- A spokesperson told The Verge that Apple deems a device active if it has used an Apple service in the previous 90 days. (Source: The Verge)
- According to Statista, one of the reasons for the iPhone’s success is Apple’s ability to establish a dependable relationship with its clients. As a result, brand loyalty and customer satisfaction for iPhones have been constantly high in the US. (Source: Statista)
What Percentage of Americans Have an iPhone?
By 2022, the proportion of smartphone users in the United States who own an Apple iPhone is 48.70%, or more than 120 million. This is a 3.83% increase over the previous year’s figure of 46.90%. (Source: Statista)
Percentage of iPhone Users in the US By Year (2012-2022)
Total Number of iPhone Users in the United States (2012–2022)
|Year||No. of iPhone Users in the US|
- In 2022, the number of iPhone users in the United States increased more than the previous year. Approximately 1.8 million more users were added on that year compared to only 1.6 million when 2021 began. (Source: Statista)
- According to analysts, even though fewer iPhones are sold each year, people clearly keep them for a long time. (Source: The Verge)
- Apple dominated the US premium smartphone market in the second quarter of 2022, accounting for 57% of all sales in the segment. (Source: Engadget)
- One of the reasons users remain loyal to Apple’s iPhone is the company’s emphasis on security and privacy. The FBI and NSA reportedly failed to unlock a criminal’s iPhone in 2016 due to the advanced encryption features of Apple devices. (Source: KommandoTech)
Market Share of iPhone in the US
Apple currently has a market share of 57.59% as of January 2023, making it the leading smartphone vendor followed by Android phones like Samsung and Motorola. It has a significant gap from its competitors, with a 29.03% disparity from Samsung and a 52.82% difference from Motorola. (Source: Statcounter)
Demographics of Apple iPhone Users
According to a 2019 Statista survey, female Apple iPhone users account for 51% of the total user base. In contrast, 43% are men, and 6% prefer not to reveal their gender. (Source: Statista)
Most iPhone users, or approximately 44% of the entire user community, are between the ages of 16 and 24. Around 34% of users are aged 25 to 34 years, followed by 35 to 44 years old at 13%. 45 and older are the smallest demographic, accounting for only 10% of all users. (Source: Statista)
It is clear that the vast majority of younger people use iPhones, as there is already a 10% difference between those aged 25 and up. (Source: Statista)
Percentage of iPhone Users vs. Android Worldwide
iPhone users account to 0.17% of the total smartphone users in worldwide, while the number of Android users is much larger taking 42%. In 2021, the total number of smartphone users was around 7.10 billion, then increased to 7.26 billion the following year. The number of mobile users worldwide is projected to reach 7.33 billion by 2023. (Sources: Business of Apps, Statista, Statista)
- Financial Times has reported that there has been a significant trend in Android users moving to iPhones over the last four years based on Counterpoint research. (Source: CNET)
- The iPhone’s iOS has a 62.69% market share in Japan but Android generally has a larger market share in Asian countries. (Source: Tech Republic)
- The iPhone 7 is the most-used smartphone globally. According to Scientia Mobile’s user statistics, Apple ranks not only first, but also sixth among the world’s most popular mobile phones. The iPhone 7 is currently followed by the iPhone X with 4.01%, iPhone 8 with 3.91%, iPhone 6s with 3.68%, iPhone 8 Plus with 3.62%, and iPhone 7 Plus with 2.80% in terms of global mobile phone users.
Percentage of iPhone Users vs. Android in the US
In 2022, around 39% of smartphone users in the US use iPhones while Android accounts to 43% of users. The number of iPhone and Android users has steadily grown in the past year, with the 2022 figures representing a 3.83% increase over the previous year for iPhone users and an additional 2.2 million Android users.