How Many iPhones Have Been Sold?
iPhone Shipment and Sales Statistics in 2023
Did you know that Apple sold over 150 million iPhones in 2022 alone? Apple remains one of the leading smartphone manufacturers globally.
iPhones also account for a significant portion of Apple’s revenue, with the smartphone generating a total of 205,489 billion USD in revenue in 2022.
With the continued success of iPhones in the market due to high sales and loyal iPhone users, it’s interesting to examine Apple’s growth over the years. Read more to learn about the Apple iPhone market share, how many iPhones have been sold in recent years, revenue shares, and many more.
- No. of iPhone users/Total no. of iPhones sold: Apple sales statistics show that the iPhone remains one of the most popular cellphones in the world after 15 years on the market, with over 150 million units sold in 2022 alone (Source: Statista)
- No. of iPhones sold in a year: In the third quarter of 2022, approximately 51.90 million iPhone models were sold, showing a 16.36% increase over the second quarter of 2022. Over 153 million units have already been sold this year as of the third quarter of 2022. (Source: Statista)
- No. of iPhones sold in the beginning (2007/2008): Following the first iPhone release in 2007, iPhone unit sales increased rapidly year after year, reaching a record high of 231 million in 2015. Since then, Apple sales for iPhones have remained fairly stable. (Source: Statista)
- Apple revenue: In the fourth quarter of 2022, Apple generated 42.6 billion USD. It’s a 4.82% increase from the previous quarter. The company’s revenue peaked in the first quarter of 2022 when it earned 71.6 billion USD. (Source: Statista)
- No. of Mac and MacBooks sold in a year: Around 5.8 million Apple Mac units were sold worldwide in the third quarter of 2022, approximately 570,000 fewer than the previous quarter. However, that’s 7.38 billion USD in revenue from Apple Mac sales alone in the third quarter of 2022. (Source: Statista)
- No. of AirPods sold in a year: More than 150 million AirPods have been sold so far, with Apple earning 12.1 billion USD in revenue from AirPods sales alone in 2021. (Source: Headphones Addict)
- iPhone contribution to Apple revenue: iPhone sales totaled 42.63 billion USD in the fourth quarter of 2022, a 4.8% increase over the previous quarter. Apple’s iPhones generated 205,489 billion USD in revenue in 2022. (Source: Statista)
- No. of iPads sold in a year: iPad sales peaked at 26 million units in the fourth quarter of 2013. Apple also sold approximately 14.5 million tablets worldwide in the third quarter of 2022, representing a quarter-on-quarter increase. (Source: Statista)
- Apple shares to the US smartphone sales: iPhone statistics show that Apple is in first place with a 55.45% market share of smartphones in the United States as of September 2022. It indicates that more than half of all units sold in the country are iPhones. (Source: Oberlo)
iPhone Total Sales and Shipped Units Worldwide
After 15 years in the global smartphone market, the iPhone remains one of the most popular cellphones in the world, as over 150 million iPhones have been sold in 2022 alone. iPhone sales increased by 2.13% from the first to third quarters of 2021 to the same quarters of 2022. (Source: Statista)
- According to forecasts from March 26, 2020, sales of tech products were anticipated to decline during the first quarter of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, in 2021, Apple shipped more units internationally than ever before. (Source: Statista)
- Apple’s most popular iPhone device to date is the iPhone 6, while the iPhone X accounted for 35% of global smartphone profits. (Source: Kommando Tech)
- Apple maintains a low switch rate compared to Android due to widely available trade-in programs allowing smartphone users to trade in their old iPhones for new ones. Over 14% of those polled in the United States have switched to the iPhone in the last two years.(Source: Apple Insider)
How Many iPhones are Sold Each Year? (2010-2022)
Number of Phones Sold Annually
|Quarter||iPhone Shipments (in million units)|
In the third quarter of 2022, approximately 51.90 million iPhone units were sold, representing a 16.36% increase over the second quarter of 2022. Apple sold the most units in the last four years in the fourth quarter of 2019, with 73.8 million units sold in that period.
- Apple’s sales figures increased in the fourth quarter of 2021, when it shipped over 84 million units. This is an increase of more than 33 million units over the previous quarter. (Source: Statista)
- Since 2018, Apple’s fourth-quarter sales have been at an all-time high. For example, in the fourth quarter of 2018, around 16.2 million more iPhones have been sold compared to the first quarter. The fourth quarters of 2019, 2020, and 2021 also saw an increase of 37.4 million, 53.4 million, and 28.9 million units over the first quarters. (Source: Statista)
- The majority of active iPhone users are in China, preceded by Apple’s home market, the United States. (Source: MiniCreo)
How Many iPhones are Sold Per Quarter? (2021-2022)
iPhones Sold per Quarter
|Quarter||Shipments (in million units)|
Up to 51.9 million iPhone units were shipped in the third quarter of 2022, showing a 5.97% decrease from the first quarter of 2021. Apple experienced a surge in shipments in the fourth quarter of 2021, shipping more than 84 million units.
- In the previous seven quarters, sales peaked in the fourth quarter of 2021, with more than 84 million units shipped globally. That’s easily 33.7 million more units sold than in the previous quarter. (Source: Statista)
- From the first to third quarters of 2022, the first quarter saw a spike in sales of 56.50 million units, followed by a 21% drop the following quarter. (Source: Statista)
- iPhone users statistics reveal that around 35% of iPhone users also have an Apple Watch. (Source: Demand Sage)
Apple’s Revenue with iPhone in 2022
iPhone’s revenue in the fourth quarter of 2022 reached 42.63 billion USD, a 4.8% increase from the previous quarter. Overall, Apple generated 205,489 billion USD in 2022 for its iPhones. (Source: Statista)
iPhone’s Annual Revenue (2007-2022)
iPhone’s Annual Revenue
|Quarter/Year||Annual Revenue (in Million US Dollars)|
Apple generated 42.6 billion USD in the fourth quarter of 2022, a 4.82% increase over the previous quarter. In the last four quarters, the company’s revenue peaked in the first quarter of 2022, when it earned 71.6 billion USD.
iPhone Percentage of Apple Revenue
The iPhone continues to be Apple’s most successful product in the fourth quarter of 2022, accounting for 47.29% of Apple’s total revenue worldwide. It’s a 3% decrease from the previous quarter, but iPhone sales remain strong, generating nearly half of iPhone revenue in 2022.
iPhone Total Sales and Shipped Units in the US
As of the third quarter of 2022, Apple held a 48% market share of the total sales of smartphone manufacturers. During that time, they were the leading smartphone vendor. However, that market share was down 14% and 4% from the previous two quarters.
How Many iPhones are Sold in the US Each Year? (2015-2021)
Annual iPhone Sales in the United States
|Year||Sales (in millions)|
As of 2021, iPhone sales reached 242 million, a 22.91% increase from the previous year. An upward trend is visible from 2008 to 2021, except in 2009, where there was an 8.39% decrease compared to the following year.
(Source: Business of Apps)
- The release of the Apple iPhone 12 was delayed from September to October due to a global semiconductor shortage. A sudden increase in demand for electronics during the COVID-19 pandemic and the tech war between the US and China caused it. (Source: EarthWeb)
- Since 2007, there has been an Apple iPhone model released every year. (Source: EarthWeb)
- Apple made several strategic moves for its phones to prevent iPhone sales from stagnating, such as the release of the iPhone SE. The phone’s 4-inch screen was intended to boost the iPhone’s market share because Apple discovered that a large number of iPhone users haven’t upgraded to larger iPhone models. The company also discovered that 4-inch phones are top-rated in developing countries. (Source: Lifewire)
iPhone Market Share in the US
As of the second quarter of 2022, Apple has recorded a market share of 48% in the US. It is 4% lower than the previous quarter, but Apple remains ahead of its competitors as the manufacturer with the highest smartphone market share.
Apple sales statistics show that in the past three years, more than half of all smartphones sold in the US are from Apple.
- For 2021, Apple’s market share peaked in the fourth quarter at 56%. It is 19% higher than the previous quarter but only 1.81% higher when the year started. (Source: Statista)
- In 2020, Apple’s market share remained at 46% in the first and second quarters, but its market share increased significantly by the end of the year when the fourth quarter rose to an overall market share of 56%. (Source: Statista)
- Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak co-founded Apple in 1976, and it currently has the highest market capitalization in the world at 2.533 trillion USD. (Source: Zippia)