Most Popular Social Media Platforms & Apps (2023)
Top Social Media Apps/Sites by Monthly Active Users (MAU)
There are going to be 4.89 billion social media users in the world in 2023. This means that more than half of the global population uses social media and is a demonstration of how social media platforms have become a part of our daily lives and significant to businesses.
The top social media platforms with the most monthly active users are Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, and WeChat. Each of these social platforms has more than one to three billion users in a month.
Which are the most popular social media platforms this year? Are your favorite social media sites and apps on the list? Continue reading to learn more about the most popular social media platforms through the monthly active users (MAUs), the great platform for social media marketing to raise brand awareness, and much more.
- Best Social Media Platforms: The most popular social media sites for 2023 are: Facebook, with over 2.9 billion active users in a month; YouTube, with 2.5 billion; WhatsApp and Instagram, with 2 billion each; and WeChat, with almost 1.3 billion. Three of these, specifically Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram, are owned by Meta Platforms, Inc.
- Total Number of Social Media Users: Around 4.89 billion people are expected to be using social media platforms this year. This number is expected to grow by 10.83%, or a total of 5.42 billion users, by 2025.
- What is the Most Popular Social Media Today?: With 2.958 billion monthly active users in 2023, the most popular social media site is Facebook.
- YouTube Users: The second most popular social media site is YouTube, with 2.514 billion monthly active users in 2023.
- Instagram Users: Instagram is the third most popular platform by monthly active users, with a 2 billion monthly user base in 2023. It had a potential advertising reach of 1.386 billion in October 2022.
- Twitter Users: Twitter has 556 million monthly active users in 2023 and is 14th in rank worldwide by monthly active users.
- TikTok Users: TikTok takes the 6th spot among social media sites and apps, with 1.051 billion monthly active users in 2023.
- Reddit Users: Reddit has 430 million monthly active users (MAUs).
In this Article:
Top 17 Most Popular Social Media Platforms Worldwide:
The Top 17 Social Networking Platforms by Users Worldwide
Note: *Platforms did not publish updated figures in the last 12 months, so figures need to be updated.
The top social media sites and apps by monthly active users (MAU) for 2023 are Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, and WeChat.
- What is the biggest social media platform? Facebook is the most used social media platform, with a 2.958 billion active user base accessing the platform each month.
How Many People Use Popular Social Media Apps in 2023?
In 2023, the world is expected to have 4.89 billion social media sites and app users, a 6.53% or 300 million increase from the previous year. It is also expected to reach 5.85 billion by 2027, representing a massive increase of 114.28% or 3.12 billion in just ten years.
People who use the internet spent 147 minutes or 2 hours and 45 minutes on social media platforms in 2022. Around 47.6% of the people who use the internet spend their time on social media platforms to maintain contact with friends and family
Social Media Users Worldwide (2017-2027)
Note: *All values are estimated.
As social media grows in popularity worldwide, the total number of social media users in 2023 will reach 4.59 billion. It is projected to reach 5.85 billion by 2027, a 27.45% or 1.26 billion rise over the last five years.
#1. Facebook Monthly Active Users
Facebook is the largest social media site in terms of number of monthly active users, with 2.958 billion monthly active users in 2023. The most popular social media platform surpassed 1 billion in 2012, eight years after its initial launch in 2004. Around 90% of marketers utilize the social platform to advertise and increase brand awareness.
Among social media sites and apps, Facebook has the most significant global advertising audience, with 2.168 billion people or 73.9% of the total active user base
- Today, 36.9% of the global population uses Facebook monthly.
- Facebook had 1.968 billion daily active users in 2022.
- India is the largest audience of Facebook, with 329.65 million users, followed by the United States, with 179.65 million users in 2022.
- In early 2022, males were the more dominant demographic on Facebook, taking account 56.6% of users. The majority of them are aged 25 to 34.
What social media has the most users?
Facebook continues to reign as the popular social media platform in terms of the number of users, advertisements, and audience reach. In 2021, Adults in the United States spent most of their time on Facebook, with the highest average time of 33 minutes among the most popular social media platforms.
#2. YouTube Monthly Active Users
The second most popular social media site based on monthly active users is YouTube, with 2.514 billion MAU in 2023. With an estimated 4.89 billion social media users, 51.41% use YouTube to watch video content in a month.
The average time global users spend on YouTube mobile app is 23.7 hours per month, with South Korea having the highest time spent with 39.9 hours in 2021.
YouTube was launched in 2005 and acquired by Google in the next year. The company launched a subscription-based membership for consumers called YouTube Premium that garnered 50 million subscribers in 2021
- India has the biggest YouTube audience, with roughly 476 million users, followed by the United States, with 247 million users engaging with the app in 2022.
- YouTube’s user demographic is dominated by men, with the majority of them aged 25 to 34.
- The global advertising revenues of YouTube accounted for $28.845 billion in 2021, an increase of 45.88% from the previous fiscal period.
- The YouTube app reached 361.23 million daily active users on iOS devices and 7 million Android mobile devices in 2021.
Is YouTube considered a social media platform?
YouTube is a social media platform that lets users share and watch video content and communicate through the comment section.
#3. WhatsApp Monthly Active Users
Today, there are 2 billion monthly active users on WhatsApp, making it the third most popular social media platform. It is the world’s most popular messaging app, with 44.93 million monthly downloads in 2022.
Furthermore, the United States generated the highest growth of downloads for the app in the Apple App Store with 45%, while Denmark leads the Google Play Store with 260% quarterly download growth in Q2 2022.
#4. Instagram Monthly Active Users
Instagram has 2 billion monthly active users, with a potential advertising reach of 1.386 billion in 2023.
In strengthening their social media presence, Instagram has been significant to beauty and fashion brands. Chanel will be the leading luxury brand with 89.1 million combined followers across social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, with Instagram being the most significant contributor.
- Today, approximately 25% of the world’s population uses Instagram every month.
- India is the country that has the highest amount of Instagram users, with 263.8 million, followed by the
- United States, with 153.6 million in July 2022.
- Younger users aged 16 to 34 marked Instagram as their favorite in the same year.
- Instagram Stories, a feature of Instagram wherein users can upload a series of photos and videos that are only visible for 24 hours, has 500 million daily active users.
- Most of the Instagram global audience is 18 to 34 years old.
#5. WeChat Monthly Active Users
#6. TikTok Monthly Active Users
TikTok takes the 6th spot among social media sites and apps, with 1.051 billion monthly active users in 2023. These users primarily access the short-form video-sharing platform to look for funny or entertaining content.
TikTok is the most popular app in the Google Play Store with 23.96 million downloads, while it came in second in the Apple App Store with 7.51 million downloads in September 2022.
TikTok is a video-sharing platform similar to Musical.ly, which ByteDance acquired in 2018. The popular platform allows users to share short-form video content with a broader audience.
- Today, marketers can reach roughly 12.8% of all people across the globe by using TikTok ads.
- TikTok rose to popularity during the pandemic, with 980.7 million first-time installs in 2020. It went down by 24.54% in the following year.
- The United States has the largest TikTok audience, with 136.42 million users, followed by Indonesia, with 99.07 million users.
- The global audience of TikTok is dominated by younger users aged between 18 to 24.
- In 2021, Android users in the United States spent roughly 19% more time monthly engaging in TikTok than the previous year.
#7. Facebook Messenger Monthly Active Users
With 931 million monthly active users worldwide, Facebook Messenger is the seventh most popular social media platform and the third most popular mobile messaging app in 2023. At the same time, it is the fourth leading social media app in the Apple App Store, with 1.029 million downloads in the United States.
With 125.5 million active users, India has the most users in this instant messaging app, followed by Brazil, with 63.9 million active users in the same year.
#8. Douyin Monthly Active Users
#9. Telegram Monthly Active Users
Telegram, an instant messaging app, has 700 million monthly active users. It is the fourth most popular messaging platform worldwide based on monthly users, with 31.84 million monthly downloads in 2022.
India has the most significant Telegram users, with 70.42 million app downloads. Russia came in second with 24.15 million downloads, followed by the United States with 20.03 million downloads.
#10. Snapchat Monthly Active Users
Snapchat will have 635 million monthly active users in 2023. It had a potential advertising reach of 576 million people in 2022. With 144.35 million users, India has the most extensive user base, followed by the United States, with 107.95 million users. Globally, females tend to use this social media app more than men.
#11. Kuaishou Monthly Active Users
#12. Sina Weibo Monthly Active Users
#13. QQ Monthly Active Users
In 2023, QQ, the Chinese-based instant messaging software, has 574 million monthly active users. These users are mostly men and young people, particularly 24 years and below. QQ users also access the platform daily and spend less than 30 minutes daily.
#14. Twitter Monthly Active Users
Twitter will have 556 million monthly active users in 2023 and takes the 14th spot in social media popularity based on MAU. It is a microblogging platform launched way back in 2006 and is now owned by Elon Musk. With an approximate 544 million potential advertising reach in 2022, Twitter accounted for 237.8 million monetizable daily active users worldwide.
The United States is the leading country that has the most Twitter users, with 76.9 million in 2022. In the previous year, most of the said country’s users used this social networking app for entertainment (82%), followed by staying informed about current events (78%).
Globally, men rule this social networking app with a total distribution of 56.4% in 2022. Users aged 25 to 34 made up the largest audience share, accounting for 38.5% of Twitter’s global audience in the previous year’s report.
#15. Pinterest Monthly Active Users
Pinterest, an online pinboard, had 445 million monthly active users in 2022. Pinterest users access this social media primarily to follow or research brands and products.
The United States has the largest Pinterest audience, with 86.35 million users, followed by Brazil, with 27 million users. Moreover, this image-oriented platform is popular among women between the ages of 25 and 34.
#16. Reddit Monthly Active Users
Reddit has 430 million monthly active users (MAUs). The platform gained a significant increase of 30% MAUs, putting them ahead of market leaders such as Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Like other social media platforms, men are more likely to use Reddit, with 63.8% in early 2022. According to a survey conducted in 2021, most users in the United States are between the ages of 18 and 29. Furthermore, the United States has the highest share of traffic to the platform, followed by the United Kingdom in 2022.
#17. Quora Monthly Active Users
Quora reached 300 million monthly active users. This online community consists of well-educated people, with 65% holding a bachelor’s degree and 28% having a master’s degree. 37% of the users have significant purchasing power and are probably in management than the general population.