Netflix Statistics: How Many Subscribers Does Netflix Have? (Dec 2023)
Netflix is expected to grow to 251.15 million users by the end of Q4 2023, representing an 8.8% increase from approximately 230.75 million subscribers in 2022. Regarding Netflix’s revenue, the platform generated USD 31.61 million in 2022, and projections show it will increase by around 7% in 2023, or around $33.7 million.
How many Netflix global subscribers are there, or how many people have a Netflix account?
Read more to learn how many subscribers Netflix has, which country has the most Netflix subscribers, and many more.
Most Netflix subscribers in 2022 were from the United States and Canada, and they generated the highest average monthly revenue per streaming customer at $16.37. The second highest ARPU were from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, at only $5.56 behind the top regions. Netflix revenue per customer in Latin America and the Asia Pacific was around $8.3.
- Total subscribers: There will be around 251 million Netflix users in Q4 2023, an 8.8% user growth from 2022. Netflix’s subscriber growth is expected to rise by 18.45% in 2025, an addition of about 46.35 million subscribers from 2023.
- Monthly active users: Netflix had 221.44 million users worldwide as of January 2022. Around 106.362 million people with Netflix accounts were streaming from Android devices while 115.12 million were streaming from iOS devices. (Source: Statista)
- Total viewers: There are currently 692.10 million Netflix viewers worldwide, a 6% increase or additional 37 million viewers from 2022. It is expected to increase to 725 million viewers in 2024, or a 4.8% growth in viewership from 2023.
- User demographics: Roughly 52% of users on Netflix are female, while 48% are male. The average Netflix subscriber in the US has a net income of not less than USD 50,000 per year. The majority of adults in the US aged 18-64 years old will come from households that subscribe to Netflix. (Sources: Business Insider, TrueList, Statista)
- Watch time: In 2022, Netflix streaming accounted for 22.4% of television viewing time. The platform’s users streamed 3.2 hours of video per day in 2020.
How Many Netflix Subscribers Are There?
There will be over 251 million Netflix users by the end of Q4 2023, an 8.8% user growth from the previous year. Netflix’s subscriber count is expected to grow to 297 million in 2025.
How Many Users Does Netflix Have by Year (2013-2023)
Note: *Estimates based on a CAGR Q1 2020-Q4 2022 2.14%
According to our estimates, the number of Netflix consumers in 2023 will be around 251 million. It represents an 8% increase over last year’s figures. User count has steadily increased in 11 years, with no discernible downward trend. The streaming service had more than 100 million users by 2017 and reached the 200 million mark by 2020.
Netflix Subscriber Count by Quarter
There were 230.75 million Netflix users during the fourth quarter of 2022, 7.66 million more users than last year, or an increase of around 3%. According to our projections, the number of paid subscribers will rise by 2% or 235.69 million by the first quarter of 2023.
- There were only about 34 million users by the first quarter of 2013. Then, it eventually grew to 41 million by the fourth quarter of the same year.
- The user count of Netflix increased to over 100 million by the third quarter of 2017, representing a 5% increase from the previous quarter.
- Netflix’s user count grew to over 203.66 million by the fourth quarter of 2020. It increased by 1% in the first quarter of 2021 and 0.7% in the second quarter of 2021. The total number of users reached 221 million in the fourth quarter of the same year.
Netflix Subscriber Growth
Netflix’s user base increased by 8.8% in 2023, or 20.4 million more users than the previous year. According to our projections, the streaming service’s subscriber growth will further increase by 18.45% in 2025, an addition of about 46.35 million subscribers from 2023.
Netflix Monthly Active Users (MAU)
There were 221.44 million monthly active users on Netflix worldwide as of January 2022. Approximately 106.362 million users stream from Android devices, while roughly 115.12 million users stream from iOS devices.
Total Number of Netflix Viewers Worldwide (2023)
There are currently 692 million Netflix viewers worldwide, approximately a 6% increase or additional 37 million users from 2022. It is expected to increase to 725 million viewers in 2024 and even 781.70 million in 2026.
Total Netflix Viewers by Year (2020-2026)
Note: *Forecast data, where viewers are paid subscribers of any age who watch Netflix at least once a month via the app or website.
Netflix has approximately 692.10 million viewers globally, a 6% increase from 2022 or about 37 million more in viewership. According to projections, there will be an additional 32.9 million viewers in 2024, a 5% increase over 2023.
- There were approximately 544 million users of Netflix worldwide in 2020. It increased by 12% the following year, or additional 67 million users.
- There were 655 million users of Netflix worldwide in 2022. It increased by 6% in 2023, representing 37 million more users for the year.
- Projections show that from 692 million users in 2023, the number of Netflix viewership worldwide will increase by 725 million in 2024, 755 million in 2025, and 782 million in 2026. It represents a yearly increase of around 3 to 5%.
Share of Ad-Supported Tier Netflix Subscribers Worldwide (2023)
Around 7% of Netflix users worldwide use the ad-supported streaming service tier. Projections show that it will increase by 24% in 2024. By 2027, the ad-supported tier is expected to account for up to 58% of the user base.
Share of Netflix Users Using Ad-Supported Tier (2023-2027)
Globally, around 7% of consumers on Netflix use the ad-supported tier, and it’s expected to rise to 24% by 2024. According to projections, these figures will reach 36% in 2025 and 58% in 2027.
According to Netflix statistics, approximately 52% of the streaming platform’s users are female, while 48% are male.
Based on data from the global research platform Morning Consult, the average Netflix user in the US is a female aged around their late twenties to forties, more likely without a college degree, and earning less than $50,000 per year.
More than 70% of those aged 18-44 years old in the US have someone in their household subscribed to Netflix.
Netflix Viewing Statistics
Netflix streaming accounted for 22.4% of total television viewing time in 2022. In 2020, Netflix subscribers watched an average of 3.2 hours of video daily, or up to six billion hours monthly. An hour of streaming typically consumes up to 3 GB of data, implying that people consume approximately 288 GB per month just from Netflix.
Netflix Penetration: Share of Households Subscribed to Netflix by Country
Netflix statistics show that Australia had the highest Netflix penetration rate of 65% as of 2022. The United Kingdom follows with 57% and the United States with 53%. Brazil, Italy, and Japan, on the other hand, have penetration rates of 22%, 12%, and 11%, respectively.
Netflix is available in over 190 countries, but its television shows and movies catalog varies by country and changes regularly. According to the Netflix FAQ, some countries don’t support Netflix, including North Korea, China, Russia, Syria, and Crimea.
How Many Netflix Subscribers Are There in the US and Canada?
There were 74.30 million Netflix subscribers in the United States and Canada during the fourth quarter of 2022, a 1% increase from the previous quarter. In the first quarter of 2022, there were 74.58 million users in the United States and Canada, a 0.26% increase from the same quarter of last year.
In the last five quarters, the fourth quarter of 2021 had the most users in the United States and Canada, with 75.22 million. On the other hand, the lowest was during the second quarter of 2022, with 73.28 million users only.
The Top TV Shows on Netflix in 2022-2023
Stranger Things was the most popular Netflix show in the world in 2022. Then comes Manifest and Inventing Anna. The television shows Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, Bridgerton, and Wednesday are in the top four to six spots. Alchemy of Souls, Emily in Paris, and 1899 are also on the list.
With a Netflix subscription, you can watch your favorite television shows and movies in one place. Like other streaming platforms, such as Amazon Prime Video and HBO Max, the streaming giant continues to record a growing user count and millions in revenue.