How Many Users Does Twitter Have? (Feb 2023)
Did you know that Twitter is included in the top 15 most currently popular media platforms in the world?
We’ve outlined Twitter usage statistics to help you understand how Twitter users access the platform and how popular it is worldwide.
Discover how many Twitter users visit the platform regularly and learn about its consistent growth over the past years.
- Total users: In 2023, Twitter currently has 353.90 million users, a 3.93% increase from 2022. Users are expected to decrease further to 335 million by 2024.
- Monthly active users: In 2023, Twitter has 330 million monthly active users (MAUs), from 276 million more users since 2010. The platform officially changed its reporting metric to monetizable daily active users (mDAU) in the first quarter of 2019.
- Daily active users: According to the latest Twitter users report, the platform had 237.8 million mDAUs in the second quarter of 2022. It is the most audience Twitter has ever had, up 3.84% from the previous quarter and 77.4% from the first quarter of 2019.
Total Number of Twitter Users in the World
Twitter currently has 353.90 million users on the platform, a 3.93% decrease from the previous year. The number of users is expected to decrease -5.14% to 335.70 million by 2024.
Total Number of Twitter Users in the World Annually
**Number of Twitter audience expected in the coming years
Twitter has grown continuously every year from 2019 to 2022. It is expected, however, to lose 3.9% of users at 353.90 million in total in 2023, and another 5.14% more users in 2024 at 335.70 million.
- The majority of Twitter’s audience, around 38.5%, is between the ages of 25 and 34. According to the most recent Statista data, Twitter appeals to a more mature market than Instagram or Snapchat.
- In 2020, Gen-Z users (born between 1997 and 2012) contributed 52% of all tweets posted that year. The interest of younger generations in Twitter bodes well for its long-term viability.
- Twitter suspended over 900,000 users in early 2020 for violating their community guidelines, a 6% rise from the previous year.
- Twitter’s user base shows that approximately 33% have a college degree or higher.
- As of August 2021, the average timeframe for most Twitter users accessing the social media platform via its web desktop version is around 11 minutes.
- The average Twitter user in the US spends 158.2 minutes per month on the social media platform.
- In 2021, advertising accounted for approximately 92% of Twitter’s revenue.
Monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAU) on Twitter
Twitter saw a monetizable daily active user count of 237.8 million currently. It is the highest number of users on the social network so far.
Twitter Statistics: Monetizable Daily Active Users (Quarterly, From 2019 to Present)
How Many People Use Twitter Daily: Twitter’s mDAU and User Growth
As of the second quarter of 2022, Twitter’s mDAU is at 237.80 million, 3.8% from the previous quarter and 77.5% from the first quarter of 2019.
- Elon Musk, the new CEO of Twitter in 2022, mentioned the possibility of unbanning all banned-for-life accounts, including former President Donald Trump’s. This surprised advertisers that had already pulled ads from Instagram and Facebook because their ad units were placed next to extremist content.
- In 2021, Twitter’s revenue was at $5 billion, which is a 35% year-on-year increase.
Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) (2010-2019)
Note: *This figure is based on the most recent advertising audience reach figures reported by Twitter’s self-service advertising tools. Starting 2019, Twitter officially stopped using MAUs for metrics in the first quarter of 2019 and switched to monetizable daily active usage or mDAU.
How Many Active Users Does Twitter Have Monthly? MAU and User Growth
Twitter has approximately 450 million monthly active users as of 2022, which is 396 million users more from 2010. The social media platform’s audience has increased by more than 40% since 2018.
- A small group of Twitter users creates the vast majority of tweets. A survey over three months in 2021 shows that the top 25% of Twitter users by tweet volume produce 97% of all tweets, while the bottom 75% have only 3%.
- Twitter demographics show that because only 29.6% of Twitter users are female and 70.4% are male, Twitter is a good platform for brands with male-oriented products or services.
- Because most internet users use their mobile phones, Twitter receives approximately 80% of its traffic via mobile. Aside from the Twitter app, the platform also has a desktop version, and its functionality is nearly identical.
Number of Twitter Users by Country
Based on the latest Twitter user reports, the United States ranks first in the number of users, with 76.9 million. Japan follows 58.95 million, India with 23.6 million, Brazil with 19.05 million, and Indonesia with 18.45 million.
Global Twitter User Penetration Statistics
- India and Japan have the most Twitter audience in Asia, and their combined numbers are larger than Twitter’s overall audience in the United States.
- According to Twitter’s July 2022 advertising audience data, the social network currently has 30.6 million users of Twitter in Western Europe, 27.2 million in Northern Europe, and 27.2 million in Northern Europe. The Caribbean, on the other hand, has 3.3 million users of the platform, while Oceania has 4.9 million.
- Around 6,000 tweets are sent every second globally, corresponding to more than 350,000 tweets per minute. That equates to approximately 200 billion tweets annually.
- Around 70 million Twitter users worldwide follow Twitter Topics, a feature that allows accounts to select trends of interest from a list of topics and then follow them.
How Many US Twitter Users Are There?
According to the most recent data, the United States has 76.9 million Twitter users and accounts for 25.47% of Twitter’s desktop web traffic.
- The US is the top country with the most number of users on Twitter.
- On average, Twitter users in the US spend 158.2 minutes per month on the platform.
- There are slightly more iPhone fans among Twitter users. The iOS version of the Twitter app has more than 162,000 downloads, while the Android app only has 150,000.
Top Social Media Platforms: How Popular is Twitter?
Based on Statista data on the top social media platforms in the world, Twitter has 436 million monthly active users, making it the top 15th most popular social media site globally. It is lagging behind other platforms, such as Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram, but above other popular sites, such as Reddit and Quora.
*Platforms have not published updated user figures in the past 12 months; figures may need to be updated and more reliable.
**Figure uses daily active users, so the monthly active user number is likely higher.
- People spend 26% more time browsing Twitter ads than other social media networks.
- Twitter is the fifth most popular, well-known social networking site in Japan.
- According to Top Rank Marketing, many companies have Twitter customer support, including Intel, Starbucks, UPS, and Amazon, because the platform provides faster lines of communication than conventional customer service via phone.
- According to Twitter, tweets with videos are six times more likely to be retweeted than posts with pictures and three times more likely than Tweets with GIFs.
- Infrequent and frequent tweeters posts in different ways. The former most commonly sends replies to other users. Around 51% of their tweets are replies compared to 30% of more frequent tweeters.
When Did Twitter Come Out?
Launched in July 2006, Twitter is a microblogging social media platform known for allowing users only to use 140 characters per post, but it was increased to 280 in 2017. It was founded by former Odeo employees Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone, and Noah Glass. Jack Dorsey sent the first tweet on March 21, 2006, at 9:50 p.m., which read, “just setting up my twttr.”
On October 28, 2022, Tesla CEO Elon Musk finally acquired Twitter at a total cost of roughly $44 billion.
Top 10 Most-Followed Twitter Accounts
The most followed Twitter user worldwide is former US President Barack Obama, with more than 131 million followers, followed by singer Justin Bieber with over 114 million followers. Katy Perry and Rihanna are next on the list, each with over 100 million followers. Cristiano Ronaldo, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Elon Musk, Narendra Modi, and Ellen DeGeneres are among the top ten most popular Twitter accounts worldwide.
- Many of the most-followed Twitter accounts are entertainers who use the platform to communicate with fans and spread relevant news about their work or improve their public image.
- The verification badge on Twitter indicates that a legitimate source manages the account.