Number of Apple Music Users & Subscribers Growth in 2023
Did you know that Apple Music is available in 167 countries and has 95 million users worldwide?
Apple Music is also the most popular music streaming service in the United States, surpassing Spotify and Amazon Music, with 33 million subscribers.
In this article, learn more about Apple Music statistics, such as its position in the music streaming market, demographics, and the growth of its user base over the years.
- No. of Apple Music Subscribers: Apple Music currently has 95 million users worldwide, with 108 million expected in 2023.
- Apple Music Revenue: In 2021, Apple Music’s global revenue was at $7.7 billion, a 22% increase over the previous year. Because Apple Music does not have its own revenue, these figures are estimates based on total global streaming revenue using Apple Music’s market and Spotify comparisons.
- Spotify: Spotify has approximately one-third of all music streaming listeners worldwide, with Apple Music coming in second. On the other hand, Apple Music pays $0.005 more per stream than Spotify, with Apple paying a total of $0.0076 per stream.
How Many Subscribers Does Apple Music Have?
Annual Growth of Apple Music Users
|Year||Annual users (mm)|
Apple Music users are expected to number around 95 million in 2022, representing a 7.9% increase over 2021. The projection is based on a regression analysis of BOA’s annual Apple Music subscriber data. (Source: Business of Apps)
- Apple Music was introduced at the World Wide Developers Conference keynote in June 2015 at Moscone Center West in San Francisco. (Source: eduCBA)
- Apple Music introduced Replay in 2022, a year-end chart that provides insights into a user’s music streaming habits. It includes a fully customized reel of the user’s favorite songs, albums, etc., for the year. (Source: Apple)
- Apple Music Replay is similar to Spotify Wrapped, but data on how a user is streaming music updates every week instead of updating only once a year. In exchange, Apple Music Replay does not provide as comprehensive music streaming statistics as Wrapped. (Source: Business Insider)
User Growth of Apple Music Users
The global number of Apple Music users is expected to reach 108 million in 2023, representing a 13% increase over the projected number of users in 2022. The figures are also expected to rise steadily in the coming years, with 121 million users projected in 2024 and 135 million in 2025.
(Source: Business of Apps)
- Apple Music is available on iPhones, iPads, Apple TV 4K and older models, Apple Watch, Mac, CarPlay, HomePod, Windows, Chrome OS, Amazon Echo, Android, and web browsers. (Source: iMore)
- Although there is no free Apple Music option, new subscribers can try a free trial. (Source: iMore)
- Apple Music has a clean white look on mobile, but if you enable dark mode on iOS, the app will also go dark. The primary tabs, such as the Apple music library, search, and radio, are located at the bottom of the interface, making it easy to navigate. (Source: CNET)
How Many People Use Apple Music in the US?
With over 33 million subscribers in the United States, Apple Music outnumbers other music streaming platforms such as Spotify and Amazon Music.
- Apple Music has a channel dedicated to streaming music videos by the most popular artists and songs. It features countdowns, special blocks, interviews, and other specials live-streamed 24 hours a day. It’s similar to Apple Music Radio, but for videos. (Source: Tone Island)
- In the US, brand awareness of Apple Music among consumers of digital music is at 80%. The concept of aided brand recognition was used to conduct the survey, showing respondents both the brand’s written name and logo. (Source: Statista)
Usage Share of Apple Music in the US
In total, Apple Music is used by 27% of American consumers of digital music. Of the 80% who are aware of the brand, 34% actually use them. Nearly 21% of American consumers of digital recordings say they plan to use Apple Music again. It indicates that 78% of their users are loyal to the brand based on the 27% usage share of the streaming service. (Source: Statista)
- About 29% of American consumers of digital music in July 2022 had come across Apple Music in recent media coverage, social media posts, or advertisements. That makes up 36% of the 80% who are familiar with the brand, indicating some hype surrounding Apple Music in the US when the survey was conducted. (Source: Statista)
- You can follow artists on Apple Music to stay up to date on their latest releases and posts. On the music streaming service, you can also follow your friends. A lot of musicians appear to be more active in posting updates on Apple Music, and that content is easier to find than on Spotify. (Source: CNET)
- Apple Music’s Browse section allows you to search for popular music by genre or mood, while the Listen Now section is where you can discover new music. (Source: Make Use Of)
Apple Music’s Global Revenue
Global Apple Music Revenue Per Year
(Source: Business of Apps)
In 2021, Apple’s global revenue was at $7.7 billion, a 22% increase over the previous year. Because the company does not break out revenue for Apple Music, these figures are estimates based on overall global streaming revenue using Apple Music’s market and Spotify comparisons.
- Apple Music costs $10.99 per month for individual plans and $16.99 per month for family plans. An individual annual Apple Music subscription is also available at $109 per year. (Source: 9To5Mac)
- Apple Music is investing in the relaunch of Beats 1 Radio, now known as Apple Music 1 and will be available under Apple Music Radio. (Source: Tone Island)
- Apple Music is expanding its song catalog by collaborating with Tencent Music Entertainment Group to distribute Chinese content via Apple’s own streaming platform. (Source: 9 To 5 Mac)
Apple Music’s Global Streaming Market Share
Spotify accounts for roughly one-third of all music streaming listeners globally, with Apple Music coming in second. Despite the Chinese government not blocking Spotify and Apple Music, Tencent Music and Netease remain the two major streaming services in China.
- Bad Bunny has been named Apple Music’s 2022 artist of the year. (Source: 9to5Mac)
- In 2021, Apple Music enhanced its streaming service by providing features for Spatial Audio and Lossless audio at no added charge to users. (Source: Mac Rumors)
- Even if a song or radio station is only played for 30 seconds, Apple Music counts it as a stream. (Source: The Small Business Blog)
Apple Music vs. Spotify Users
In 2021, Apple Music ranked second to Spotify in the number of users. The former had 88 million users while the latter had 165 million, a gap of nearly 77 million subscribers. (Source: Business of Apps)
- When signed in with the same Apple ID, collectors can access their libraries of tracks in AAC 256kbps through the iCloud Music Library that they can access through iTunes. (Source: Tom’s Guide)
- Similar to Spotify, Apple Music lets users listen in a web browser where they can browse their libraries, access playlists, and play personalized content. (Source: Tom’s Guide)
Apple Music Demographics
Apple Music Users by Age
As of February 2018, the age groups with the highest number of Apple Music users in the United States were those aged 25 to 34 and 55 and older, accounting for 23%. They are followed by those aged 35 to 44 (22%) and 18 to 24 (17%). People aged 45 to 54 make up the smallest group of Apple Music users, accounting for only 15%.
- If you need help with what to listen to, ask Siri. It’s Apple’s digital assistant that can handle commands like “Play the top songs from the ’80s. (Source: PCMag)
- The Apple Music Voice plan is the cheapest among the subscription packages of the streaming service. Still, it is limited because it only allows you to play music via Siri commands on Apple devices that support the feature. These include Apple Watches, AirPods, and HomePods. (Source: Make Use Of) & (Source: Apple Support)
Apple Music Users by Gender
Gender Distribution of Apple Music Users
In February 2018, females used Apple Music more than males, accounting for 56% of the platform’s users compared to the latter’s 44%.
- You can buy a song from the Apple Music app or use Siri to control your music.(Source: iMore)
- Apple Music allows you to view and share playlists with friends and listen to the service on various devices simultaneously. (Source: iMore)
- Apple Music supports offline listening, allowing you to save songs to listen to when you’re unable to connect to the internet. (Source: PCMag)
Apple Music FAQs
How many songs does Apple Music have in their library?
Apple Music now has more than 100 million songs, an addition of 70 million more songs since the platform’s launch in 2015. According to Apple, around 20,000 new tracks are added to the service every day. (Source: Engadget)
Does Spotify or Apple Music have more music?
Spotify claims to have more than 80 million songs on its streaming service platform, which is 20 million fewer than Apple Music. (Source: Engadget)
How many countries is Apple Music available in?
Apple Music is available in 167 countries. (Source: Business of Apps)
How much does Apple Music pay per stream?
Apple Music currently pays $0.0076 per stream, a higher rate than other music streaming services such as Spotify and YouTube. The former pays only $0.0026 to $0.0049, whereas the latter pays $0.00067. These music streaming service competitors, on the other hand, provide their content for free with advertisements. (Source: Business of Apps)