Number of Apple Music Users & Subscriber Growth in 2024
Apple Music is available in 167 countries and has 112 million users worldwide in 2024, a 10.89% growth or 11 million increase in users from the previous year. Despite lagging behind Spotify’s over 601 million users worldwide, Apple Music is the most popular music streaming service in the United States, with 33 million subscribers, surpassing Spotify and Amazon Music.
Unlike Spotify, which has free and paid subscribers, Apple Music offers only paid subscriptions.
In this article, learn more about Apple Music user statistics, such as how many people use Apple Music, its position in the music streaming market, demographics, and the growth of its user base over the years.
- How Many People Use Apple Music: The streaming service is projected to reach 112 million premium users worldwide in 2024. This figure is expected to grow even further by 10.71% in 2025.
- How Many Apple Music Users Are There in the US?: More than 33 million people subscribe to Apple Music in the United States. It takes the leading position among music platforms in the country. Around 27% of digital music consumers in the country use the platform.
- Apple Music Revenue: Apple Music’s global revenue is expected to reach $10.5 billion in 2024, a 12% increase over the previous year. Apple Music takes around 13% of the music streaming market share. It comes second to Spotify’s 30% market share.
- Apple Music User Demographics: Apple Music users are a little bit more likely to be female, accounting for 56% of users. The platform’s user share is essentially spread evenly across different age groups.
- Spotify vs Apple Music Users: Apple Music comes behind Spotify in terms of the number of subscribers worldwide. Spotify is expected to reach over 600 million total users and 250 million paying subscribers in 2024, compared to Apple Music’s 112 million users in the same year.
- How Much Does Apple Music Pay Per Stream: The music streaming service pays $0.005 more per stream than Spotify, with Apple paying a total of $0.0076 per stream.
How Many Subscribers Does Apple Music Have?
Apple Music’s paying subscribers are expected to reach around 112 million in 2024, representing a 10.89% increase over 2023. Data shows that since Apple released the music platform in 2015, it has only gained more and more subscribers per year.
- Apple announced the launch of Apple Music at the World Wide Developers Conference keynote in June 2015 at Moscone Center West in San Francisco.
- Apple Music introduced Replay in 2022, a year-end chart that provides insights into a user’s music streaming habits. It includes a fully customized reel of the user’s favorite songs, albums, etc., for the year.
- Apple Music Replay is similar to Spotify Wrapped, but data on how a user is streaming music updates weekly instead of only once a year. In exchange, Apple Music Replay does not provide as comprehensive music streaming and listening history statistics as Wrapped.
User Growth of Apple Music Users
The global number of Apple Music subscribers is projected to reach 124 million in 2025, representing a 10.7% increase over the projected number of users in 2024.
- Apple’s streaming service is available on iPhones, iPads, Apple TV 4K and older models, Apple Watch, Mac, CarPlay, HomePod, Windows, Chrome OS, Amazon Echo, Android, and web browsers.
- Although there is no free Apple Music option, new subscribers can try a free trial.
- Apple Music has a clean white look on mobile, but if you enable dark mode on iOS, the app will also go dark. The primary tabs, such as the Apple music library, search, and radio, are located at the bottom of the interface, making it easy to navigate.
How Many People Use Apple Music in the US?
With over 33 million subscribers in the United States, Apple Music outnumbers other music streaming platforms such as Spotify and Amazon Music. Around 27% of Americans who use music streaming services use Apple Music.
- Apple Music has a channel dedicated to streaming music videos by the most popular artists and songs. It features countdowns, special blocks, interviews, and other specials live-streamed 24 hours a day. It’s similar to Apple Music Radio but for videos.
- You can follow artists on Apple Music to stay up to date on their latest releases and posts. On the music streaming service, you can also follow your friends. A lot of musicians appear to be more active in posting updates on Apple Music, and that content is easier to find than on Spotify.
- Apple Music’s Browse section allows you to search for popular music by genre or mood, while the Listen Now section is where you can discover new music.
Usage Share of Apple Music in the US
Apple Music is used by 27% of American consumers of digital music. Of the 80% who know of the brand, 34% use them. Nearly 21% of American consumers of digital recordings say they plan to use the streaming service again. It indicates that 78% of their users are loyal to the brand.
Apple Music’s Global Revenue
In 2024, Apple Music’s global revenue is expected to reach $10.5 billion, a 12.9% increase over the previous year. Because the company does not break out revenue for Apple Music, these figures are estimates based on overall global streaming revenue using Apple Music’s market and Spotify comparisons.
- Apple Music is investing in the relaunch of Beats 1 Radio, now known as Apple Music 1. It will be available under Apple Music Radio.
- Apple Music is expanding its song catalog by collaborating with Tencent Music Entertainment Group to distribute Chinese content via Apple’s own streaming platform.
Apple Music’s Global Streaming Market Share
Spotify accounts for roughly one-third of all music streaming listeners globally, with Apple Music coming in second.
Despite the Chinese government not blocking Spotify and Apple Music, Tencent Music and Netease remain the two major streaming services in China, one of the largest markets in the music industry.
- Bad Bunny has been named Apple Music’s 2022 artist of the year.
- In 2021, Apple Music enhanced its streaming service by providing features for Spatial Audio and Lossless audio at no added charge to users.
- Even if a song or radio station is only played for 30 seconds, Apple Music counts it as a stream.
Apple Music vs. Spotify Users
Apple Music ranks second to Spotify by number of subscribers worldwide. The former is projected to have 112 million users in 2024, while the latter is expected to reach more than 600 million users in the same period. Spotify’s premium version accounts for 254 million of its total subscribers, a difference of more than 140 million compared to the number of people subscribed to Apple’s music streaming platform.
- When signed in with the same Apple ID, collectors can access their libraries of tracks in AAC 256kbps through the iCloud Music Library using iTunes.
- Similar to Spotify, Apple Music lets users listen in a web browser where they can browse their libraries, access playlists, and play personalized content.
Apple Music Demographics
An Apple Music subscriber is slightly more likely to be female than male and could be of any adult age. Females account for 56% of users. The platform’s user share is also spread evenly across different age groups. Even those aged 55 years and above account for 23% of Apple Music’s total users.
Apple Music Users by Age
The age groups with the highest number of Apple Music users in the United States were those aged 25 to 34 and 55 and older, accounting for 23% of user share each. They are followed by those aged 35 to 44 (22%) and 18 to 24 (17%). People aged 45 to 54 make up the smallest group of Apple Music users, accounting for only 15%.
Apple Music Users by Gender
More females used Apple Music than males, accounting for 56% of the platform’s users compared to the latter’s 44%.
- You can buy a song from the Apple Music app or use Siri to control your music.
- Apple Music lets you to view and share playlists with friends and listen to the service on various devices simultaneously.
- Apple Music supports offline listening, allowing you to save songs to listen to when you’re unable to connect to the internet.
Apple Music FAQs
How many songs does Apple Music have in its library?
Apple Music now has more than 100 million songs, an addition of 70 million more songs since the platform’s launch in 2015. According to Apple, around 20,000 new tracks are added to the service every day.
Who has more music, Apple or Spotify?
Both Apple Music and Spotify have more than 100 million songs on their streaming service platforms. But while Spotify integrates 5 million podcasts and 350,000 audiobooks in the same platform, Apple has separate platforms where you can purchase the same products and are therefore not included on Apple Music.
How many countries is Apple Music available in?
Apple Music is available in 167 countries.
How Much is Apple Music?
Apple’s music streaming service costs $10.99 per month for an individual plan and $16.99 per month for a family plan. An individual annual Apple Music subscription is also available at $109 per year.
The Apple Music Voice plan is the cheapest among the subscription packages of the streaming service. Still, it is limited because it only allows you to play music via Siri commands on Apple devices that support the feature.
How much does Apple Music pay per stream?
Apple Music currently pays $0.0076 per stream, a higher rate than other streaming services such as Spotify and YouTube. The former pays only $0.0026 to $0.0049, whereas the latter pays $0.00067. On the other hand, these music streaming service competitors provide their content for free with advertisements.