Best iPhone 12 Used Price: How Much is it Worth Now? (Oct 2021)
Compare Your iPhone 12 Resale Values
- You can lose $302.51 if you don’t check out the best offers here. We’ve compared the market for you so you can get the best deal.
- How much is a used iPhone 12 worth? Whether you’re upgrading or selling, there are so many trade-in and resale options available.
- Find out where to get the most money from buyback websites, in-store trade-ins, carrier deals, and private marketplaces.
The iPhone 12 received an incredibly warm welcome when it arrived on the scene in late 2020. Between 30 percent and 35 percent of a new phone orders have been for the iPhone12 and iPhone 12 Pro. The iPhone 12 mini accounts for 10 to 15 percent of total orders, and the more expensive iPhone 12 Pro Max makes up 15 to 20 percent.
If you have an iPhone 12 and you’re considering reselling or trading in your phone for the best price possible, make sure to look at all of your options.
- Online stores that buy back phones usually offer more than stores or carriers for your trade-in. They even provide more than trading directly back to the Apple Store.
- Private marketplaces can get you a good value – it just takes a little time to make a listing, manage responses, sell and ship the device. (watch out for hidden fees)
- We compare prices every day to offer you the highest-paying online buyback stores.
How Much is an iPhone 12 Worth?
Today's Used iPhone 12 Market Value Breakdown:
The average resale market or trade-in value of a used iPhone 12 is $382.09, with prices ranging between $269.00 up to $522.80 from the best buyback stores.
Today's Used iPhone 12 Pro Market Value Breakdown:
The average resale market or trade-in value of a used iPhone 12 Pro is $539.13, with prices ranging between $326.00 up to $717.00 from the best buyback stores.
Today's Used iPhone 12 Pro Max Market Value Breakdown:
The average resale market or trade-in value of a used iPhone 12 Pro Max is $602.41, with prices ranging between $370.00 up to $776.51 from the best buyback stores.
Today's Used iPhone 12 Mini Market Value Breakdown:
The average resale market or trade-in value of a used iPhone 12 Mini is $328.00, with prices ranging between $206.00 up to $461.00 from the best buyback stores.
Launched on October 23, 2020, the iPhone 12 series offered several significant upgrades over previous generations. One of them is a Super Retina XDR OLED display, an A14 Bionic processor, and MagSafe, a magnetic connector that allows you to attach accessories like wireless chargers and cases to the back of the phone.
With Apple regularly releasing new smartphones, you may be wondering how much is a used iPhone 12 worth? The trade-in value of iPhone 12 / 12 Mini, or the larger 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max, depends on several factors, including:
- Storage size – The different models in the iPhone 12 series have storage ranging from 64GB to 512GB. The more storage the phone has, the more money you get.
- Condition – Mint condition means the phone is brand-new, while good condition means it has nothing worse than light wear on the outside. But even if your phone is damaged, cracked, or faulty, you can still make money from selling it.
- Carrier – If your smartphone is locked to a specific carrier, it will be worth a bit less. Unlocked smartphones, which are bought outright, are always worth more.
- Payment – The most common means of payment are direct deposit, check, or PayPal. Carriers and stores may offer limited payment solutions and may restrict you to store credit.
The iPhone 12’s MagSafe feature made this model popular, which contributes to its resale value. This innovative feature not only assists in aligning the phone on wireless chargers but also allows you to quickly swap out accessories, including a wallet pouch that snaps on and off easily.
Condition Quotes: iPhone 12 Best Used Price
|12 - 64GB||$630||$620||$325||$150|
|12 - 128GB||$640||$620||$375||$160|
|12 - 256GB||$650||$640||$405||$167|
|12 Mini - 64GB||$462||$455||$300||$124|
|12 Mini - 128GB||$484||$475||$345||$133|
|12 Mini - 256GB||$545||$545||$365||$138|
|12 Pro - 128GB||$800||$790||$510||$223|
|12 Pro - 256GB||$845||$837||$585||$241|
|12 Pro - 512GB||$915||$885||$625||$247|
|12 Pro Max - 128GB||$893||$887||$590||$249|
|12 Pro Max - 256GB||$963||$945||$645||$268|
|12 Pro Max - 512GB||$999||$985||$705||$273|
The trade-in value of an iPhone 12 depends on several factors. The storage size is always important, and the more GBs the model has, the better the price you can potentially get for it.
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini come in 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB versions, while the iPhone 12 Pro and 1Phone 12 Pro Max have 128GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB options.
The condition of the phone is also a significant factor in the iPhone 12 value. Stores will buy the following:
What do the conditions mean?
- Mint condition: The phone is used but functions well and has no exterior marks.
- Good condition: The phone is used but functions and may have minor marks on the exterior.
- Cracked screen/case: The phone has a broken screen or case but no software or hardware issues.
- Faulty: The phone won’t turn on, has software or hardware issues, or parts that do not work.
Other factors that affect the used iPhone 12 price include where you decide to trade in your device (store, carrier, auction, private sale) and whether the phone is still connected to a specific carrier through a contract. It also matters whether or not the phone is unlocked and whether you want to get paid in cash or store credit.
The iPhone 12 offers Night Mode photography on both the primary camera and front-facing camera. This makes it better at capturing high-quality pictures at night and in low-light situations. This desirable feature is one reason the iPhone 12 price, used or new, is relatively high.
Resale Market Comparison: Best iPhone 12 Trade-in Values
|Model||Top Price||Lowest Price||Difference|
|12 - 64GB||$620||$391||-$229|
|12 - 128GB||$640||$450||-$190|
|12 - 256GB||$650||$454||-$196|
|12 Mini - 64GB||$462||$314||-$148|
|12 Mini - 128GB||$484||$341||-$143|
|12 Mini - 256GB||$545||$382||-$163|
|12 Pro - 128GB||$800||$414||-$386|
|12 Pro - 256GB||$845||$508||-$341|
|12 Pro - 512GB||$915||$554||-$361|
|12 Pro Max - 128GB||$893||$522||-$371|
|12 Pro Max - 256GB||$963||$558||-$405|
|12 Pro Max - 512GB||$999||$600||-$399|
The table above shows just how much you can miss out by selecting the wrong price quote when comparing iPhone 12 selling price.
The iPhone 12 series received a warm welcome when it was released, and with good reason. The 12 range has a good selection of cameras, the new OLED screen, a throwback body design, and 5G. The MagSafe back is also a unique feature, allowing you to keep your charger and other accessories attached to the phone.
If you’re interested in trading in or reselling your phone, several buyback companies and private sites will pay you for your iPhone 12. The used iPhone 12 price they offer may be less than you expect, though, and some offer only store credit.
The iPhone 12 has an added Smart Data mode, which automatically uses LTE networks as needed to save on the battery life since 5G uses so much battery power. If more data-intensive power is required, the Smart Data mode switches to the higher bandwidth.
Your Carrier & How it Impacts Your iPhone 12 Resale Value
|12 - 64GB||$620||$630||$610||$500||$500|
|12 - 128GB||$640||$640||$620||$550||$550|
|12 - 256GB||$650||$650||$561||$561||$561|
|12 Mini - 64GB||$462||$462||$450||$450||$450|
|12 Mini - 128GB||$484||$484||$465||$446||$451|
|12 Mini - 256GB||$545||$546||$496||$461||$471|
|12 Pro - 128GB||$800||$800||$800||$730||$730|
|12 Pro - 256GB||$845||$845||$833||$735||$725|
|12 Pro - 512GB||$915||$915||$820||$741||$741|
|12 Pro Max - 128GB||$893||$893||$925||$800||$801|
|12 Pro Max - 256GB||$963||$963||$950||$825||$836|
|12 Pro Max - 512GB||$999||$999||$881||$861||$861|
If you purchased your iPhone 12 outright, your phone’s resale value would be higher because it isn’t locked to a particular carrier. This gives the buyer the option to take the phone to any carrier and get service with it.
If you purchased your iPhone 12 with a specific carrier service, you can still sell it to anyone you like. The phone is yours, and the carrier has no rights to repossess it because of the way it was financed. You do still have to pay off whatever remains of your contract with the carrier. Stores will tend to offer you less money, though.
If your carrier was Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T, then the phone was automatically unlocked 60 days after you originally purchased it. These phones count as unlocked even if you are still connected to one of these carriers.
Today’s used iPhone 12 Pro value breakdown:
- Carrier Unlocked trade-ins are worth $326.00 to $717.00 on average. The top value for a 12 Pro Max is $616.00 for 128GB, $657.00 for 256GB, and $717.00 for 512GB.
- Verizon carrier lock trade-ins are worth $326.00 to $736.00 on average. The top value for a 12 Pro Max is $636.00 for 128GB, $676.00 for 256GB, and $736.00 for 512GB.
- AT&T carrier lock trade-ins are worth $292.00 to $685.35 on average. The top value for a 12 Pro Max is $575.00 for 128GB, $619.00 for 256GB, and $685.35 for 512GB.
- T-Mobile/Sprint carrier lock trade-ins are worth $271.00 to $654.00 on average. The top value for a 12 Pro Max is $522.00 for 128GB, $588.00 for 256GB, and $654.00 for 512GB.
A unique software lock code secures Carrier-locked iPhone 12 phones. This prevents the device from being connected to a different carrier network than it was initially programmed for. The good thing is that these carrier locks can be removed, increasing the resale value of your iPhone 12.
You can find other carrier prices here:
How Quickly Your Used iPhone 12 Price Drops:
The official US release prices for the iPhone 12 series start at $829 for the iPhone 12, $999 for the iPhone 12 Pro, $1099 for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and $729 for the iPhone 12 Mini.
During the first 4 years after release, an iPhone 12 will lose between 16.70% to 33.62% of its trade-in value every 12 months (on average).
On average, Apple devices follow this 4-year resale value drop:
- Year 1 avg. resale value drop: 16.70%
- Year 2 avg. resale value drop: 35.47%
- Year 3 avg. resale value drop: 57.16%
- Year 4 avg. resale value drop: 66.43%
You need to act fast if you want to secure the best quote possible for your used iPhone 12 price since prices drop quickly. If you’re upgrading, don’t leave it sitting around the house collecting dust!
The good news is that stores will offer you a price lock once you place an order to trade in your iPhone 12. You can lock in the price today with no obligation or risk. Trade-in price locks typically last from seven days to a month. Shipping is free, and your phone will be sent back for free if testing reveals an internal fault that lowers the offered value.
Trade-in prices for old smartphones are surprisingly high since trading in your phone had become part of the device’s lifecycle. You not only get a new phone for a super low price, but someone else will get your wiped and refurbished phone in the second-hand buyback markets.
Sell a Financed, iCloud Locked, Blacklisted iPhone 12
Yes, you can. When you purchased your phone and signed up for a monthly plan or service term, you were extended a line of credit by your carrier. You will still have to pay for your phone’s monthly contract, but you can sell the phone to get the value it’s worth to pay off this amount or upgrade to a better plan.
If you want to sell iPhone 12 with money owed, get a quote here:
Yes, you can. If you can’t remember your iCloud lock password or passcode, some buyback stores can still buy the device and unlock it, providing you’re the rightful owner of the phone to unlock the phone. Select Activation Lock from the filters and find the best locked iPhone 12 resale value.
If you want to sell iCloud locked 12, get a quote here:
Yes, you can. While private buyers may not know how to unblock the phone and will be reluctant to take it on, some buyback stores online will buy a blacklisted phone. Again, as long as you actually own the phone, the process is simple. Compare prices for blacklisted devices here and see what your best options are.
If you want to sell a blacklisted or bad ESN iPhone 12, get a quote here:
Conclusion: Getting the Most Money for Your Old iPhone 12
As you’ve seen, there’s not a simple answer to the question “What is an iPhone 12 worth?” The value of your phone depends on the storage, carrier, condition, and more. We gather the highest online prices from stores, carriers, and other buyback sites, saving you time and earning you more money when you compare prices here.
If you’re buying a new iPhone 12, check with your phone carrier to see what buyback offers they have and whether they offer boosters. You may also get a significant discount on your next phone when you trade-in.
You can also create a personal ad or auction your phone online. eBay and Swappa are good options, but beware of the fees – eBay charges 10 percent, with Swappa maintaining a more reasonable fee.
If you want to get the most money for your old iPhone 12 series phone, it’s worth taking the time to compare quotes before you sell. With a hassle-free operating system, consistent battery life to power the new 5G speeds, and advanced camera and multimedia technology, the iPhone 12 resale value reflects its popularity.