Best iPhone XS Used Price: How Much Is It Worth Now? (April 2021)
Compare Your iPhone XS Resale Values
- You could lose up to $141 when you sell your iPhone XS online – See our helpful price comparison (updated daily).
- How much is a used iPhone XS / XS Max worth? Before you consider selling or upgrading, you need to find the best iPhone XS resale price.
- Find out where to get the most money from buyback websites, in-store trade-ins, carrier deals, and private marketplaces.
Around 10% of all iPhone users are still carrying the iPhone XS when they could be turning a profit. However, you could face a loss when you’re selling your device online without comparing it with other options or price levels. You need a clear idea of the iPhone XS market value before you commit to a sale.
You can sell your iPhone XS to places like EcoATM, Bestbuy, Gamestop, or Target – if you want to lose up to half of its actual value – or sell to carriers offering a similar amount, but in-store credit only. Online buyback companies aren’t always easy to navigate as there are so many options out there – here, we do the job of comparing the market for you to find the top deal online.
Clear expectations are helpful before you browse these options. As industry leaders, we pull together daily comparisons so that you know whether the deal you see on any pre-owned iPhone XS is competitive.
How Much Is an iPhone XS / XS Max Worth?
Top 5 iPhone XS Trade-in Values (March 2021)
Today's Used iPhone XS Market Value Breakdown:
The average resale market or trade-in value of a used iPhone XS is $311, with prices ranging between $33 all the way up to $336 from the best buyback stores. In comparison, a used iPhone XS Max is worth an average of $350, with resale quotes as low as $89 and the best deal reaching $400.
If you ask a search engine like Google, “What is an iPhone XS / XS Max worth?”, you will find the iPhone XS selling price varies considerably. The real value of your pre-owned device depends on the release year, storage size, condition, carrier, and how you accept payment.
- Storage size: More storage means more money.
- Device Condition: For example, mint condition, good, cracked, or internally faulty,
- Carrier: If your phone is locked to a carrier’s network like Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint?
- Payment: In-store trade-ins will usually leave you with a store credit. You can make more money with online cash offers.
The iPhone XS had its release in 2018 and still carries an excellent value on the used iPhone market. As mentioned above, your carrier also plays a part in your resale payout.
If your iPhone XS includes a carrier lock, you might only be able to sell it for a lower price. However, some carriers like AT&T and Verizon unlock phones after 60 days of purchase – if you bought your iPhone XS / XS Max new, you might now have an unlocked phone on your hands – Nice.
The iPhone XS moved up three spots in the unofficial popularity contest between iPhones in 2020. Don’t pay fees that eat into your profits by making iPhone deals on other platforms – use our comparison service for the best prices on your iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max before a sale.
The iPhone XS debuted in various colors and models, including 64 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB of storage. Be sure to check the condition of your phone along with its storage capacity for a better comparison:
What do the conditions mean?
- Mint condition iPhone XS / XS Max value is highest. These phones will look and operate like the first day out of the box.
- Good condition refers to the value of an iPhone XS / XS Max only second to mint condition but still bringing in reasonable money. These phones may have minor scrapes from normal wear and tear.
- Cracked screen or case items sometimes contain significant physical damage and won’t fetch a high price. But stores will still buy them and repair the screen to resell.
- Faulty phones might not switch on or have problematic software/hardware like screens, mics, or speakers. This means you’ll have to sell it for less.
True Tone technology was a massive drawcard for the iPhone XS / XS Max. It is a six-sensor white light balancer that adjusts your screen colors to optimize visual effects as you move between environments. It’s the kind of feature that boosts the iPhone XS’ appeal on the used iPhone market.
The table above shows just how much money you could potentially lose by taking a lower offer on your iPhone XS / XS Max.
The iPhone XS is full of attractive features, despite being a few generations behind the latest model. That tenth of iPhone users that still carry these iPhone XS models rely upon them daily. Luckily for sellers, functions like the battery life of the 2658mAh battery and the 12MP camera are still desirable to buyers in the resale market.
The process is also more straightforward when you can use our comparisons instead of shopping around yourself for prices from Amazon, EcoATM, and other stores that pay less.
Swappa might be a better option if you want to go down the user-to-user sale option. Creating profiles or effective advertisements to list your pre-owned iPhone on these types of websites can be time-consuming.
Our impartial advice is:
- Buyback Sites: If you want almost perfect market value, free shipping, and simplicity, compare prices here.
- Carrier Offers: If you’re upgrading, check out what the carrier will offer you (in case they’re running a trade-in promo with boosted resale value)
- Private sales: If you’ve got the time, get the top market value for your iPhone XS or XS Max model using Swappa to create an advert, manage it and sell yourself
An iPhone XS without a carrier lock fetches more. The trade-in value of iPhone XS carrier-locked models is lower, but you aren’t stuck selling it back to the carrier, either.
Today’s used iPhone XS value breakdown:
- Carrier Unlocked trade-ins are worth $220 to $331 on average. In terms of the top offer, you’ll get $271 for 64GB, $301 for 256GB, and $331 for 512GB.
- Verizon carrier lock trade-ins are worth $220 to $321 on average. In terms of the top offer, you’ll get $253 for 64GB, $285 for 256GB, and $321 for 512GB.
- AT&T carrier lock trade-ins are worth $180 to $285 on average. In terms of the top offer, you’ll get $250 for 64GB, $270 for 256GB, and $285 for 512GB.
- T-Mobile/Sprint carrier lock trade-ins are worth $149 to $275 on average. In terms of the top offer, you’ll get $255 for 64GB, $255 for 256GB, and $275 for 512GB.
Convenient comparison tools are up to date enough to find the right buyer for your pre-owned iPhone XS and feel good about the value you receive for it. It is also exciting that some carriers automatically remove the user lock 60 days after purchase, including AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile.
How Quickly Your Used iPhone XS / XS Max Price Drops
When Apple released the exciting new iPhone XS in 2018, the device retailed for $999 and $1099 for the larger XS Max model. Buyers queued for weeks to secure products. However, like any model, prices on the iPhone XS / XS Max continue to drop with every new Apple release.
During the first 4 years after release, the iPhone XS / XS Max will lose between 16.70% to 33.62% of its trade-in value every 12 months (on average).
On average, Apple devices follow this 4-year resale value drop:
- Year 1 avg. resale value drop: 16.70%
- Year 2 avg. resale value drop: 35.47%
- Year 3 avg. resale value drop: 57.16%
- Year 4 avg. resale value drop: 66.43%
Ship it for free and get it back at no charge if they have to revise the quote – this only happens when they uncover any unexpected issues you didn’t know about, e.g., faulty speaker or liquid damage.
A handy tip is to check the platform where you want to sell your used iPhone XS / XS Max. Stores will sometimes freeze a price for up to 31 days. If it holds that offer, you could use the time to look around for a better iPhone XS deal.
Sell Financed, iCloud Locked, Blacklisted iPhone XS.
Yes. Even if you still owe money for it, you can sell your iPhone XS or XS Max model to a third party. You’ll still need to pay off the device in full and fulfill your financial obligations to the lender, though. Why not use the proceeds toward the debt? See how much it’s worth today using the link below.
If you want to sell an iPhone XS with money owed, get a quote here:
Yes, it is possible. However, you will need to set a low iPhone XS starting price on a password-locked device. Selling used, locked phones are usually a no-no from marketplaces, stores and carriers – but we have a list of established buyback stores that specialize in this condition.
If you want to sell iCloud locked XS, get a quote here:
Buyers are wary of an iPhone XS / XS Max with a bad electronic serial number (ESN). If you have one, you can sell it and find a buyer willing to take it. Luckily for you, we’ve got that list of stores and quotes here. Use our comparison service to check your value.
If you want to sell a blacklisted or bad ESN iPhone XS, get a quote here:
Conclusion: Getting the Most Money for Your Old iPhone XS
The best way to earn (up to double the amount) on the sale of your old iPhone XS / XS Max is to use our comparison service. We show you the correct market value for current transactions so that you can compare your device to similar models in a similar condition. It is the easiest way to pinpoint a fair price for you and your potential buyer.
If you have the time to create advertisements for eBay or Swappa, remember to check out the seller fees that go up to about 10% – it can make you think your deal is better, but you end up spending a load of time on getting a similar amount as buyback stores offer. If you’re fixed on selling private, we recommend Swappa. It is the best option for sure!
If you’re thinking of selling your used iPhone XS / XS Max, there is no better time to exit the market. Click on our comparison service for all the information you need to evaluate your sale options. View your iPhone XS from all angles to secure the best price.