ChatGPT Number of Users & Market Size Statistics(Mar 2023)
ChatGPT User Demographics, Growth, & Revenue Data
Did you know that ChatGPT can write not only essays but also write code? It can even write an entire academic paper.
Given all of this, Open AI’s new chatbot, released in late 2022, has the potential to impact a wide range of industries, from education to business.
In this article, you’ll learn more about ChatGPT statistics, from its million users to the implications for businesses, jobs, and market research when running ChatGPT.
- ChatGPT Number of Users: ChatGPT handles approximately 10 million users’ queries per day.
- The number of Daily ChatGPT Queries: The average time spent on ChatGPT’s website is 4 minutes and 11 seconds, with a 27.05% bounce rate. Each visit yields an average of 6.89 page views.
- ChatGPT’s Global Website Traffic: ChatGPT ranked 98th among the world’s most popular websites in December 2022 and 173rd in the United States.
- Estimated ChatGPT Revenue: According to ChatGPT’s most recent investor pitch, revenue will be around $200 million in 2023 and $1 billion by 2024.
- Chatbot Market Size and Growth: In 2021-2022, the global chatbot market was valued at $525.7 million, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25.7% projected from 2022 to 2030.
- According to ChatGPT statistics, the site also ranked seventh in the Computers, Electronics, and Technology category.
Overview of ChatGPT
Interesting ChatGPT Facts & Statistics
|Founding Details||ChatGPT was launched by its creator, Open AI, on November 30, 2022.|
|ChatGPT Model||ChatGPT is built alongside Open AI's GPT-3.5, an upgraded version of GPT 3, and is based on the latest text-Davinci-003 model.|
|Training ChatGPT||The method for training ChatGPT is through Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback or RLHF.|
|Operational Cost||Based on ChatGPT statistics, the chatbot’s average operational cost per day is estimated to be around US $100,000, with a monthly cost of around US $3 million.|
|Dataset||The dataset for OpenAI’s ChatGPT contains 300 billion words, 570 GB of data, and 175 billion parameters.|
|Cost per AI chat/Cost to users||ChatGPT is currently free for a limited period during its research preview.|
|Predicted Revenue||Open AI says that once ChatGPT is monetized, it will generate approximately $1 billion in revenue by the end of 2024.|
How Many Users Does ChatGPT Have?
OpenAI’s chatbot, ChatGPT, reached over one million users five days after its launch on November 30, 2022. It is expected to reach 1 billion users by the fourth quarter of 2023.
ChatGPT's Monthly Active Users (MAU)
ChatGPT statistics show that people visit the site for an average of 4 minutes and 11 seconds, with a 27.05% bounce rate. Every visit results in an average of 6.89 page views.
What's ChatGPT's User Growth Rate?
ChatGPT is regarded as a watershed moment in the widespread adoption of artificial intelligence. It’s because it continues to grow and innovate with its API, which is simple enough for users to understand and can automate basic programming, data entry, and many other things.
ChatGPT statistics show that it reached one million users in just five days, a feat accomplished by Netflix in over 41 months, or more than three years, and Twitter in over 24 months, or roughly two years.
ChatGPT: Time Needed For Online Services to Reach One Million Users
|Online Service||Launched||1 Million Users Reached|
- Data Table
ChatGPT: Time Needed For Online Services to Reach One Million Users
Online Service Launched 1 Million Users Reached ChatGPT 2022 5 Days Instagram*** 2010 2.5 months Spotify 2008 5 months Dropbox 2008 7 months 2004 10 months Foursquare*** 2009 13 months 2006 2 years Kickstarter* 2009 2.5 years Airbnb** 2008 2.5 years Netflix 1999 3.5 years Q1 2020 21.90% 13.60% Q4 2019 19.20% 21.30% Q2 2019 22.40% 12.30% Q1 2019 23.20% 10.90% Q4 2018 22.80% 12.80% Q3 2018 20.40% 13.40% Q2 2018 21.40% 12.20% Q1 2018 23.60% 15.50%
- Data Graphic
One million Kickstarter backers | ** one million Airbnb nights booked | *** One Million App Downloads
Number of Daily ChatGPT Queries Received
According to ChatGPT statistics, the tool receives around 10 million queries per day, causing the servers to slow down and resulting in the tool’s “At Capacity” response.
ChatGPT's Website Traffic Ranking
As of December 2022, OpenAI ChatGPT ranked 98th among the world’s most popular websites and 173rd in the United States. The rankings significantly improved from November 2022, when ChatGPT only ranked 1879th globally and 2591st in the United States. ChatGPT’s site also ranked 7th in the Computers, Electronics, and Technology category.
ChatGPT statistics show that ChatGPT is only one rank lower than Google and Messenger in global rankings. In terms of US rankings, the website is higher than Toast (toasttab.com), but lower than Spectrum (spectrum.net).
ChatGPT User Demographics
ChatGPT Users by Gender & Age
Visitors of ChatGPT’s website are 70.20% males and 29.80% females, with the largest age group of visitors aged 25 to 24.
Average Time Spent on ChatGPT Per User
According to Similarweb, the average ChatGPT user spends 4 minutes and 11 seconds on the website.
Most Popular Countries Using ChatGPT
The United States was the top country sending desktop traffic to ChatGPT’s website in December 2022, accounting for 19.20% of the total audience. It is followed by India (5.70%), the United Kingdom (3.56%), France (3.44%), and Germany (3.22%).
Additional ChatGPT Statistics:
- Because of security concerns, China, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Russia, Belarus, Iran, and Venezuela are among the countries that cannot access ChatGPT’s website.
- ChatGPT is not available in countries on its terrorist list, which includes Ukraine, Iran, and Russia.
- Several users in Egypt have reported being unable to access the ChatGPT website.
How Much is ChatGPT Worth?
ChatGPT is reportedly in talks to sell at least $300 million in shares in an offer that would value the company at $29 billion, more than doubling the ChatGPT valuation of $14 billion in 2021.
ChatGPT Projected Revenue in 2023/2024
According to reports, ChatGPT’s most recent pitch to investors shows a revenue projection of around $200 million in 2023 and $1 billion by 2024.
Chatbot Market Size and Growth
According to ChatGPT statistics, the chatbot market worldwide was valued at US $525.7 million in 2021, with a compound annual growth rate or CAGR of 25.7% projected from 2022 to 2030.
- E-commerce companies can use chatbots for returns and exchanges. They can automate approximately 35% of the task done by an individual, which will substantially result in substantial annual savings in overall costs.
- The marketing segment led the global chatbot market in 2021 when it recorded a revenue share of 56.8%.
- IBM Corporation, Creative Virtual Ltd, Nuance Communications, eGain Corporation, and Avaamo Inc. are among the leading players in the global chatbot market.
Chatbot Market Size and Growth
The global chatbot market is divided into five segments. Listed below are the categories included per segment:
- Messenger-Based or Third Party
- IT and Telecommunication
- Travel and Hospitality
- Other End-Users
Will ChatGPT Be Monetized?
The company is still trying to determine the exact cost per chat on ChatGPT once it is monetized, but OpenAI CEO Sam Alman believes it will be in the single digit cents.
ChatGPT & AI Taking Over Jobs
ChatGPT Implication for Business
ChatGPT can help businesses by automating repetitive tasks and providing more engaging interactions with users, such as compiling research and translating texts from one language to another.
However, there may be some risks for businesses, especially since OpenAI acknowledges the current limitations of ChatGPT and artificial intelligence in general, like the possibility of incorrect or biased information or privacy concerns.
ChatGPT is also vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks because it’s connected to the internet and could potentially be utilized to disperse malicious content or viruses.
Chatbots for service businesses dominated the market in 2021, accounting for more than 35.0%. In order to save money, many businesses in sales and customer service began to automate routine and mundane tasks.
ChatGPT Implication for Market Research
The major implication of ChatGPT for market research is the further advancement of Conversational AI as a key methodology. It’s because ChatGPT can exemplify the quality of conversation that AI technology can have.
However, more work needs to be done to make it more effective for market research, such as ChatGPT successfully taking on the right types of personas, so it can be useful in some situations. It will be beneficial for market research if ChatGPT asks appropriate questions that are not leading and are context specific.
ChatGPT Implcation for Education
ChatGPT has a significant impact on the education sector as it can automate learning goals and activities, as well as assessment and evaluation practices like essays or academic papers. However, this technology raises concerns that students may become overly reliant on ChatGPT for academic tasks.
This is why the paper “ChatGPT User Experience: Implications for Education” concludes that rather than using the tool to do something that students’ general skills can do, ChatGPT should only be used to assist students with subject-domain tasks where they can still use their creativity and critical thinking.
- A Princeton student named Edward Tian has created an app called GPTZero that can immediately detect content created with ChatGPT. He says that he created GPTZero because while everyone deserves to benefit from AI, safeguards are also required to ensure that these technological advances are not abused.
- Adam Stevens is a New York City high school history teacher who is opposed to his district’s decision to block ChatGPT. According to him, the chatbot will only become a threat if the educational system continues to pursue rubric points rather than knowledge.
- ChatGPT, unlike other AI chatbots, can respond to follow-up questions, admit errors, challenge incorrect premises, and reject inappropriate requests.
- ChatGPT was created in addition to Open AI’s GPT-3.5, an improved version of GPT 3. The GPT 3.5 is an autoregressive language model that generates human-like text using deep learning.
- ChatGPT is a transformer-based language model that was trained on a huge database of text data to perform natural language processing tasks. These natural language processing (NLP) tasks include high-accuracy question answering, text summarization, and language translation.
How WIll AI and ChatGPT Affect Jobs and Industries?
ChatGPT can automate traditional human functions like text revision, document creation, and code writing. With its massive increase in job completion speed and ability to generate written content that is useful in a variety of industries, it has the potential to make significant changes in several of business sectors.
While there is the possibility of human-machine hybrid work wherein humans guide AIs for reduced errors, there is also the risk of people losing their jobs. This demonstrates how ChatGPT’s technology completely creates new systems with impacts for jobs and business models.
- ChatGPT’s ability to write content quickly and accurately saves time and resources for a variety of businesses, particularly those in the advertising, marketing, journalism, publishing, finance, and consulting industries.
- ChatGPT can help programmers write code that was previously written by a team of many people, and people who have never programmed before will soon be able to create usable code as well.
- CHatGPT can assist professors in creating an adequate course syllabus, grading criteria, lecture notes, and class assignments that, with some editing, could be potentially useful.